Omniscient (NFT project in 2019)
“Give the power back to the people, to individuals, the creators, and those who love music.” by Pochang Wu 吳柏蒼 - 回聲樂團 (Echo)
Warner/Chappell artist Pochang Wu’s new song “Omniscient” brings the heritage of physical music to the digital world with blockchain. Wu is creating a new digital music format to give artists revenue models outside of music streaming.
“Omniscient” uses computational art to package Wu’s music, notes, artwork, and photography into a new music format and deliver a unique experience within each edition for each fan. This format can played on a computer or within the wallet app on Android and Apple iOS.
This product released on February 20th 2019, the complete 200 limited editions of Omniscient was claimed and sold out within 12 hours. First time has music distributed, registered and transferred as a digital property through the blockchain platform in Taiwan. The launch has attracted more than 10+ media coverage from abroad to local.
Product lead, Product designer: wireframes, UI/UX design, responsive design, end-to-end user flow, user research.
Casey Alt · Head of Design
Bach Le Xuan, Anh Nguyen · Developers
Hai-Ching · Marketing
FRAMING THE PROBLEM
- The previous iteration of the product was completed half a year ago and only supported general digital property registration with little focus on specific use cases for users to experience and understand the uniqueness of digital property.
- Collaborating with Pochang Wu, the concept of physical music was introduced, allowing fans to gift, sell, or buy other editions without license agreements, digital rights management (DRM), or even Wu himself.
- Each asset certificate includes the full ownership history and related property rights of the edition, recorded on the public blockchain.
- My first task was to discuss with Pochang and his team to plan out the core functional requirements and define the best flow for the core features.
CORE FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Artist can register music files and issue titles as digital property on the blockchain.
- Digital property music screen to deliver the best experience of the difference from regular streaming and digital format music.
- Artist distribution web page for sharing and allowing fans to claim the song.
- Trackability for the artist in the app to monitor all the claimed songs' provenance.
DESIGN ITERATIONSBriefly explain my design thinking as the example case below. I've always conducted user interview feedbacks and internal team testing to improve product usability.
From the orginal design to the new design, the changes are including:
- 1.1 -> 2.1
- 1.2 -> 2.2
- 1.3 -> 2.3
01. ENTRY - CLAIM & DIGITAL PROPERTYAfter artist register the song, the app will generate a URL link as a claim web page and artist can share it to any social media. Designed the flow with only 2 steps for claiming process so that fans can listen to the song in very few steps.
02. REGISTER RELEASED MUSICDesigned a simple flow for anyone could easily follow the instructions and register the file and release the music.
03. REQUESTSAn overall view for all the transaction requests and history.
04. TRACKING RELEASED MUSICFocus on a component design for the panel that contains multiple features. Define the priorities between sections and the interaction of the screens.
- Japanese ALis media - 台湾のアーティスト吳柏蒼さんがブロックチェーンプラットフォームで新作を発表したそうですよ
- Yahoo News - 樂團主唱新歌出招 帶你進入區塊鏈世界
- Modernized Record Collecting: Pochang Wu Releases New Music on Blockchain Built Specifically for Digital Collectibles